A food justice group in Tennessee has a motto that I've always been fond of: "Everybody Eats". It's very true; food is a common denominator between people, and no matter where you are you'll eventually want to find someplace to eat out or buy food to prepare at home. I firmly believe that good food, especially when it's shared with family, friends and members of our community, brings out the best in people.
A little about myself: I’m a graduate student at Clark University in Worcester studying public administration. I hope to work in the field of nutrition and local food production in the future, in particular working with children and school meal plans to make them more nutritious and tasteful. As a child and brother of a "foodie" mother and sister, respectively, and as someone who genuinely loves to cook and eat, I'm always game to try a new grocery store or farm stand for fresh and uncommonly good ingredients to use for a potluck dinners, or to spice up a simple meal before running out to class in the evening. Likewise, when I want to show a friend or relative from out of town what a taste of Worcester is like, it’s a wonderful excuse to go to one of my favorite local restaurants and bars that I don’t normally hit up.
I love Worcester. It’s a diverse, multifaceted city with a cross-section that includes a sundry assortment of people and a lot happening on any given day. In my time at Clark, first as an undergraduate and now as a graduate student, I’ve come to consider Worcester my home, and yet I learn something new about the city and surrounding towns all the time, including good places to grab a quick bite or an unusual ingredient in whatever dish I’m planning on preparing.
Unfortunately, like many other people I know, I’m restricted from divulging in my passion for good food by trying to eat healthfully on a limited food budget while balancing free time between graduate school, work and cooking for myself. Other peers are juggling even more, including multiple jobs, medically-mandated dietary restrictions, raising children and beginning the process of paying off college loans. When things start to get crazy, it’s easy to fall into the routine of getting greasy take-out multiple times a week and not exploring the gastronomic wonders that Worcester has to offer.
My hope is to develop Chow Down Central MasStyle as a valuable resource to point out not only where to get a good cheap bite to eat, but some of the smaller non-chain groceries, co-ops and bodegas that offer a variety of foods to use in home-cooked meals that won’t burn out your food budget. I'll also do my best to mention special deals or events that show off local cuisine. Most of my reports will be places in walking or biking distance, but I’ll occasionally write about a somewhat less-than-local destination, especially if they are hosting a special event.
Happy Eating!
No comments:
Post a Comment